Pedestrian accidents are often times more fatal than head-on collisions,
rollover accidents, and other dangerous crashes. The most obvious reason
is that pedestrians simply do not have any type of protection against
fast moving vehicles. When the accidents are not fatal, they usually result
in serious injuries, and months of long recovery.
But who is responsible for preventing these terrible accidents? Do pedestrians
always have the right of way or do they need to manage safe practices
as well? Under the law, it is the responsibility of both driver and pedestrian
to stay alert and respect each other’s boundaries.
As a pedestrian, follow these tips to stay safe and avoid accidents with
- Avoid walking on highways or freeways.
- When a sidewalk is provided, stay on it rather than using the road.
- If there is no sidewalk, you should use discretion when walking on the road.
- Stay along the shoulder, going against the direction of oncoming traffic
if on the road.
- In addition to cars, keep an eye out for motorcycle riders and cyclists.
- You have the right of way on all marked crosswalks, but still use caution.
- Make sure you observe and obey all traffic signals, or you may be held
liable for a collision.
- Stay alert and aware of potentially distracted drivers even when you have
the right to cross.
When you follow these tips and remain within your rights as a pedestrian
on the road, you can not only improve your safety, but also ensure that
you will not be held liable or denied compensation if an accident were to occur.
Hit by a negligent driver? Get legal help!
Anyone who is traveling the roads should always be extremely cautious,
whether by foot or by vehicle. The best tip to keep in mind for both drivers
and pedestrians is to stay alert, avoid distractions, and respect each
other’s boundaries. At Jones & Swanson we realize that pedestrian
accidents happen, and can often result in serious and devastating injuries,
we are ready to craft your defense.
If you have been involved in a pedestrian accident in the Marietta area,
you need to reach out to our injury attorneys today for a free consultation.