Jones & Swanson

Who Pays My Medical Bills if the Driver Doesn’t Have Insurance?

Georgia is a ‘fault’ car insurance state. This means that there is a ‘fault’ system and whoever is at fault in an accident is liable for the damages caused by the accident. That person’s auto insurance will generally cover the liability matters. If you are involved in an accident and you prove the fault of the other party, your settlement will involve compensation for your medical bills. Unfortunately, the settlement generally comes from the at fault party’s insurance company. When the driver at fault does not have insurance or is underinsured, there are alternative methods of receiving the financial compensation that you need.

Under the tort system, the person at fault in the accident is responsible for your medical bills and other damages. You may be able to recover the compensation that you need from them. If they are unable to provide you with the financial damages that you need and deserve, your liability policy through your own uninsured motorist coverage will come into play.

This means that the other option of payment for your medical bills can involve your own insurance provider, granted that you have uninsured motorist coverage. In this case, your insurance covers the medical costs suffered after an accident with an uninsured or underinsured driver. The amount granted from your insurance will depend if you have excess coverage or the traditional, non-stacking type of coverage. If you have questions about this type of coverage and what the best option is for you, feel free to give us a call.

Jones & Swanson can help you if you have been involved in an auto accident with a driver who does not have insurance. We have the experience and knowledge needed to help you get the compensation that you deserve. Contact us at (770) 427-5498 for a free consultation regarding your accident.

Auto AccidentsAuto InsuranceCar AccidentGeorgia LawsInsurance ClaimsMedical BillsPersonal Injury

File a claim now

Contact a Marietta injury lawyer to discuss your case today.