Christmas has come and gone, and with it the purchase of countless toys and games for children. As we move forward into the new year, it may be helpful to refresh on toy safety basics.
Since December alone, there have been 15 recalls that represent close to 2 million units of toys considered dangerous. The most common type of injury related to toy recalls is that of choking hazards. We recently wrote about the dangers of Fidget Spinners, which has also been listed as one of the top hazardous Christmas toys this season. Even toy dolls can be dangerous, in that they include accessories that are easily ingested. And while toy swords and guns may be made of plastic, they can still cause serious harm to the eyes or face.
Toys should be used for fun and something that children should not have to worry about being injured by them. Below are some toy safety tips to keep in mind as your children make use of their newly received gifts:
- Make sure the toys are age appropriate. If a child is too young to understand that certain toys can potentially cause harm to themselves or others, they are probably too young to use responsibly. This especially includes small parts, which can cause choking.
- Toys with wheels. Bicycles and scooters are always at the top of holiday lists, and they are extremely popular with children. However, much responsibility comes with such gifts. Helmets should be worn at all times, as falls could be potentially deadly. Children should also understand roadway safety and how to operate responsibly.
- Magnets. Children’s toys with magnets are actually covered with a higher safety standard that prevents them from being swallowed. Magnets for adults, however, are much more powerful and can cause major problems if swallowed. Magnets should be kept away from children.
- tay away from loose string, ribbons, and chords. Sadly, children can easily suffer from strangulation from such items. To prevent the chance of such accessories being wrapped around a child’s neck, it is best to avoid them.
- Washable and non-toxic. Since many toys will end up in a child’s mouth at some point or another, it is important to make sure the material isn’t toxic and can be easily washed. This is another example of choosing toys and parts that are not easily swallowed.
For more information about toy safety, visit fisher-price.com.