Summer in Marietta is feeling more and more like a normal year – following Covid precautions last year it’s great to see businesses, restaurants and activities opening again. The sun is shining, heat waves are rolling in and activities are starting to liven up downtown around Marietta Square.
Tips to Avoid Pedestrian Auto Accidents
- Stay alert. When you’re driving through areas highly trafficked by pedestrians, pay attention and watch for kids and individuals who may not be paying attention.
- Maintain a safe speed. If you’re driving the speed limit or below in highly congested areas, it gives you a quicker reaction time to stop.
- Don’t drive under the influence. Driving under the influence of drugs or alcohol is never a good idea. In a high pedestrian area, this is especially true.
- If you’re a pedestrian, pay attention to cars around you. Hold your children’s hands as you cross the street and watch out for drivers who aren’t paying attention.
- Stay in designated pedestrian areas. If you ‘re walking in a high traffic area, stay in pedestrian zones like sidewalks and always use crosswalks and signals when crossing the street.
Summer safety is especially important because of the increase in traffic this year, following last year’s lockdown. Unfortunately, pedestrian accidents can be more common than we anticipate. For more information or tips on how to safely navigate high traffic areas, visit www.nhtsa.gov.
Wondering what events you can do with your family this summer? Visitmariettaga.com can provide upcoming events to fill your summer nights with fun. Remember to take some of these tips with you while you head out and enjoy!