This week’s safety topic has to do with preventing trip and fall or slip and fall incidents. While these accidents are often unforeseen and difficult to prevent, you want to make sure you are doing all that you can to protect yourself. If you are injured in a slip and fall, we are here to help you recover compensation for your injuries. At the same time, we want to promote safety in the workplace.
Five tips that we have when it comes to preventing falls as a worker are:
- Wear good shoes. You want shoes that have tread and do not easily lose grip.
- Wear eyewear if you are supposed to. Do not accidentally leave your glasses at home and continue working.
- Watch your surroundings. It is important to be aware of what is around you and avoid danger.
- Take precautions when the weather changes. If rain or snow has left the ground wet, be extra careful when walking.
- Be sure any medications you take do not affect your balance.
Even while taking all of the above precautions, incidents still occur. While as an employee, there are things you can do to prevent accidents, there are some precautions that should be taken by your employer as well. As a business owner and employer, you should do all that you can to keep your workers safe.
Five tips we have for you as an employer to prevent slips and trips at work are:
- Maintain lighting. Keep all work areas and walkways lit.
- Maintain good housekeeping to make sure the grounds are safe.
- Reduce slippery surfaces. For example, moisture-absorbent mats, anti-skid tape, etc. Also make sure spills are cleaned right away and ‘wet floor’ signs used when necessary.
- Make sure employees have proper shoes before beginning work.
- Avoid obstacles in walkways. Clutter and equipment in aisles is a hazard that should be avoided.
Keep the workplace safe from falls by taking the necessary precautions. If an accident does occur, make sure the required steps are taken to report the accident. If you have been injured in a slip or trip and fall or if you have any questions about these accidents, give our firm a call today.