Slip or trip and fall accidents may not seem like something you should be worried about, but our personal injury firm represents victims of fall accidents often. Millions of older adults fall each year, many times leading to significant injuries. Of those ages 65 and above, falls are the most common cause of injuries. 80% of those senior falls occur in the bathroom. Younger generations are at risk of slip/trip and falls as well. It is estimated that approximately 235,000 people ages 15 and older visit emergency rooms as a result of bathroom fall injuries. Of those, nearly 14% are hospitalized.
Public bathrooms and those in your own home should be fall-proofed. Here are a few tips to prevent bathroom falls:
- Use nightlights in the bathroom so you’re able to better see if it’s dark.
- Have grab bars installed by the toilet to make sitting and standing easier. You can also install grab bars inside showers or bathtubs to prevent falls.
- Keep shower and tubs clean of soapy buildup.
- Place non-slip mats or adhesive strips inside and outside the bathtub and/or shower.
- Showers with shatterproof glass are the best way to prevent water leaking onto the bathroom floor. If you are unable to install this type of shower, leaks can be minimized by using a curtain liner inside the tub as well as a decorative shower curtain outside the tub.
- If the bathtub or shower is not easily accessible, purchase a bath step or walk-in tub.
- Avoid bending over by using liquid soap.
- Use a hand-held shower nozzle.
- Have your vision checked regularly. Less-than-perfect vision can cause disorientation.
- Exercise regularly to preserve balance.
- Never use a space heater in the bathroom. Water, toilet paper, or tissue can easily cause hazards when in contact with an electric space heater.
- Install the bathroom door so that it swings outward. This will help in the event of a fall.
Fall accidents oftentimes leave victims with broken bones, sprains, bruising, and other injuries that are difficult to recover from. By using these helpful bathroom safety tips, we believe more falls can be prevented. Regardless of your age, slip or trip and fall accidents can be very dangerous. It is important to protect yourself.
For more information about slip/trip and fall accident claims, contact Jones & Swanson.