Each year, the 4th of July proves to be one of the most exciting events of the summer. There will be cookouts, camping, boating, swim parties, and of course, fireworks. Regardless of what your plans are this Fourth of July, safety should be a priority for you and your family. Independence Day is one of the most risky days in Georgia year after year.
If you’re planning to celebrate, keep the following firework safety tips in mind:
- Use fireworks outdoors only.
- Have a water hose/bucket nearby in case of fire.
- Use fireworks only as intended.
- Do not attempt to combine fireworks or re-light “duds”.
- Never allow young children to play with or ignite fireworks.
- Never throw/point fireworks at another person.
- After fireworks are finished burning, douse the device with water before discarding.
- Instead of lighting your own fireworks, attend a fireworks show. The Marietta Square hosts an exciting Fourth of July celebration that includes a fantastic firework show at the end of the night.
Not only should you beware of firework safety pointers, but general summertime safety tips as well:
- Do not leave barbeque fires unattended.
- Drink plenty of water to stay hydrated.
- Exercise extreme caution while swimming in swimming pools, at the beach, and at water parks. For a list of swimming pool safety tips, check out our list of drowning prevention tips.
- Beware of crowds that may become unruly.
- Stay close to your children.
- Check decorations for small parts or dangerous chemicals that could hurt children.
As always, holidays are a popular time for drunk drivers. Beware of drunk drivers this 4th of July. Use extra caution when operating vehicles. If you’re planning to consume alcohol yourself, designate a driver or call a cab. You could end up hurting someone other than yourself.
We witness personal injuries as a result of poor 4th of July preparation every year. We want you to have fun but also to be safe. An emergency room visit before the fireworks show begins will not be a fond memory this Independence Day, so prepare by taking the necessary precautions before leaving home this Fourth of July holiday.