As Christmas festivities come to an end, it’s time to say goodbye to 2018 and prepare for the New Year. For many people, this is an opportunity to focus on new goals and resolutions, as well as reminisce and reflect on 2018. It can also be a fun opportunity to ring in the New Year with friends and family. Atlanta and its surrounding metro areas has been recognized as one of the top destinations for New Year’s celebrations. If you’re still deciding how to celebrate New Year’s Eve, we’ve compiled a list of a few New Year’s holiday activities that are sure to be a great time.
The NYE Royalty Show: A Tribute to Prince and Queen
- The Strand Theatre in Marietta, GA will be having New Year’s Eve concert, featuring the Georgia Player’s Guild performing a tribute to Prince and Queen. The GPG is an extremely talented group, so it’s sure to be a wonderful night of music and entertainment.
Stone Mountain Park’s Kids’ Early New Year’s Eve Celebration
- For the kids and early birds, this family-friendly New Year’s countdown will end at 9pm instead of midnight. It consists of over 2 million decorative lights, various activities, a snowfall, and a countdown that will have everyone in bed at a decent hour. All Stone Mountain New Year’s festivities are included with the purchase of a Christmas Mountain ticket. This is a great holiday event for the family that’s a hit every year.
The Atlanta New Year’s Eve Peach Drop
- Since 1989, this has been Atlanta’s iconic New Year’s Eve celebration. Admission is free, and doors open at 6pm with entertainment set to begin at 7 pm. This year, Atlanta-based R&B groups Jagged Edge and 112 are set to perform, in addition to the alternative rock group Better Than Ezra. This year will mark the 30th annual celebration. Bring the family and head to downtown Atlanta in Woodruff Park and watch the 800-pound peach count us into 2019.
New Year’s Eve Bash – The Battery Atlanta
- The Battery Atlanta will bring in the New Year with style in their 2nd annual New Year’s Eve Bash. There will be an early countdown in a family-friendly environment, with a late-night show heading into midnight. For those that like to be home early, the festivities will start at 5:30 pm in the Plaza. In addition, The Heavy Hitters and the Brave’s mascot Blooper will be present. The ball is set to drop at 8 pm. For those that stay around for the later festivities, everything will start at 9 pm. In addition, the 12South Band will be performing from the Georgia Power Pavilion Stage, with a countdown that will include pyrotechnics, as well as confetti and a firework display. This is a free event and is sure to be a great time. At the nearby Coca Cola Roxy, The Roots will be performing to ring in the New Year.
- For a chance to enjoy a festive cocktail and semi-formal evening, be sure to check out the 14th annual Downtown Countdown Party. This is an opportunity to bring in the New Year over a premium open bar, a gourmet dinner with carving stations, a champagne toast, live entertainment, and more! It is always an Atlanta favorite every year and is one of the city’s largest parties.
This is only a tentative list of the many New Year’s Eve happenings in and around the Atlanta area, and each will have something for everyone. While it can be an exciting time to say goodbye to 2018 and welcome 2019, New Years is one of the busiest and most dangerous times to be on roadways. This is a time of year when many people celebrate with parties and unfortunately choose to make irresponsible driving decisions. Be mindful of not only your own actions, but also other drivers. If you’re planning to drink, make sure you have a designated driver or plan to use driving services, such as Uber and Lyft. Don’t start the New Year by driving irresponsibly and risking the safety of yourselves and others. Be smart, have fun, and bring in 2019 safely.
On behalf of our entire staff at Jones & Swanson, we want to wish everyone a safe and Happy New Year’s! Here’s to 2019!